I am always looking for inexpensive or free activities in Chicago. The concerts in Millennium Park are great on a summer evening. What about activities during the day? When you live in a city like Chicago, sometimes the only time you actually see the sites or discover its’ history is when you are showing visitors around town.
I happened onto a website entitled Free Tours By Foot. At freetoursbyfoot.com you can find a good selection of Chicago walking tours that are conducted by enthusiastic and knowledgeable guides. There is no fee for these tours although it is suggested that if you like the tour that you tip the guide generously. You would most likely do that for a paid tour as well. Free Tours By Foot is reviewed on Yelp, Trip Advisor and other reviewing sites and consistently receives a 5 star average review.
Tours are varied and are normally about two hours long. Distance traveled by foot is less than 2 miles. The experienced guides talk about history and point out many things you have missed or just do not know, even though you are a Chicagoan. Tours include:
· Loop Tour • Covers the North Loop and Millennium Park
· Magnificent Mile Tour • Discover things about the Magnificent Mile than do not include shopping.
· The South Loop and Grant Park • Architecture, Parks and Buckingham Fountain
· Chicago Riverwalk and History Tour • History, the Chicago River, Architecture and Navy Pier.
· Chicago Gold Coast • Lincoln Park Zoo, the Playboy Mansion, Oak Street Beach and everything in-between.
· Lakeview/Wrigleyville Tour • Broadway Street, Boystown, Lakefront and ultimately Wrigley Field.
· Lincoln Park Blues and Gangster Tour • The Biograph Theatre, Louis Sullivan masterpieces, site of the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, DePaul, and the best places in the area to experience Chicago blues.
· Chicago Architecture Tour • From the Sears (Willis) Tower to the Bean, this choice gives you a guided tour of Chicago’s downtown architecture.
There are also Ghost Tours, Food Tours, Underground Pedway Tours, and for a fee, private tours for groups. Even though these tours are free you are required to book a reservation online. The schedule of Chicago tours and a lik to book your tour can be found at this link, freetoursbyfoot or you can look them up on Facebook by searching for Free Tours By Foot Chicago. Remember, tip your guide!